Sunday 2 March 2008

Polish soybean fritters

Polish: soja
Vietnamese: Đậu tương
Thai: ถั่วเหลือง
Japanese: ダイズ
Chinese: 大豆
Bahasa Indonesia: kedelai
Bahasa Melayu: kacang soya hijau
Finnish: soijapapu
Arabic: فول الصويا
Tagalog: balatong

Tofu, tempeh, miso, soysauce, sprouts, soymilk, yoghurt and cream cheese, ice-cream, textured protein, nut butter and so on... I even heard about the methode to prepare homemade soybean coffee, supposedly tastier as chicory coffee and ovomaltine (I have to try the recipe and post later). What a versatile vegetable :) I like the taste of soybeans, when combined with potatoes and fried. Just like those below:

1 cup soybeans
potatoes*
1 egg
1 big onion
breadcrumbs**
a bunch parsley
salt, pepper

1. Soak soybeans overnight. Cook them witout salt,stirring, until soft. Cook potatoes* - you need to have twice more cooked soybeans than potatoes.

2. Fry chopped onion until golden. Mash potatoes and soybeans (or pass through meat grinder), add egg, chopped parsley and fried onion, breadcrumbs (** about 1/3 cup - until you can form balls), salt and pepper to taste.

3. As said above, form balls (walnut size). You can deep them thrice: in flour, egg and breadcrumbs, or only in flour, which was my way of serving them. You can also bake them instead of frying.

4. I saved one cup uncooked beans cause I wanted to try and prepare it the way I prepare falafel. I passed soaked and dried beans through meat grinder to obtain a kind of soy porridge. I added 1 teaspoon soda bicarbonate, chopped parsley, salt and pepper and form small fritters (and fry them of course)





5. Wanna try my mum's beetroot salad? Cook 2 beetroots until soft (it takes a lot of time, I know), peel them, shred and fry with soaked raisins and shredded apple. Add salt, pepper and cream, and mix.

No comments: