Wednesday 6 February 2008

Turkish pumpkin pasta

Polish: makaron
Basque: makarroiak
Icelandic: núðlur
Gujarati: મૈકરોની
Mongolian: хөндий
Faroese: makaroni
Chinese: 通心粉
Maltese: mqarrun
Thai: มะกะโรนี
Slovak: makaróny

I promise, one day I will learn Turkish. Yes, I love all the languages and because of many reasons. The main reason for learning Turkish is the variety of its cuisine and a great number of delicious recipes, especially those vegetarian. I am not a big fan of noodles (I barely eat them) but I absolutely adore pumpkin, so without any doubt I had to try balkabağı pasta.

a packet of penne (rigatone) noodles (I had about 300 gr)
1 cup (better a bit more) raw pumpkin, diced
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1 cup broth
1 medium onion
1 tablespoon sour cream

1. Cook noodles as usual

2. Stew diced pumpkin with broth until soft

3. Grind half of your pumpkin seeds and add to the pumpkin broth. Fry the rest with finely chopped onions. Add onions to pumpkin.

4. Pour pumpkin sauce over pasta. Stir. Add sour cream, salt and pepper to taste

(grounded seeds was my invention. You don't have to do it. Just take less seeds and only fry them with onion)

No comments: