Wednesday 6 February 2008

Syrian pepper spread

Polish: papryka
Korean: 고추류
Asturian: pimientu
Chechen: бурч
Flemish: paprika
Malay: lada
Maasai: olpilipili
Tagalog: sili
Mapunzugun: trapi
Guarani: ky’ỹi

When I made for the first time this ancient dish, originated in Aleppo, the culinary capital of Syria, I crazily fell in love with it. This wonderful Syrian dip, Muhammara (محمره), is just delicious. I usually eat it with dark bread with cereals for breakfast but it tastes so good that I could eat it all day long, in each occasion.

1 medium pepper (mine was a bell pepper of 200 gr)
1/2 cup ground walnuts
1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
1/2 cup (or even 1/3) olive oil
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon lemon juice
about 4 garlic gloves, mashed
1/2 teaspoon cumin
if needed, salt and pepper too (I didn't add)

1. Bake pepper in the oven until the peel is dark. Peel it and throw the seeds from inside.

2. Blend peeled pepper slices with the rest of the ingredients. Garnish with a handful of parsley green if you like (I do)



No comments: